Monday, January 10, 2011

Toxic Beauty?

Are you slathering toxic chemicals on to your skin? You may be. And you probably don't know it.

Have you ever flipped over your shampoo or lotion bottle & read the ingredients? If not, try it sometime. Try pronouncing some of those words. I'll bet you can't. I know I couldn't. So, again I decided to further investigate the situation. Here's what I found:
Most personal care products have Pthalates, Parabens, Sulfates & other controversial ingredients.
I say controversial because there are arguments to support both sides. There are claims that these ingredients are endocrine disruptors, causing an increase in certain hormones including estrogen. Certain groups claim that an increase in these hormones can lead to hormone specific cancers such as breast cancer. These groups also claim that these ingredients also contribute to the obesity problem that faces our nation along with other problems as well.
On the other hand, the manufacturers and other research groups show conflicting data that states these products are safe to use and the foundings previously noted are incorrect.

I see it this way: when in doubt, leave it out. I've decided to opt for products that are all natural, organic, or those that I have researched.

I've posted a link for a cosmetic safety database I like to frequent. You can enter the name of a product and it will give you a list of ingredients and the safety of these ingredients based on their research.

 http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment